There’s so much information to consider when thinking about Foods to Heal Your Gut. In fact, it can be overwhelming just figuring out where to begin. You can start by downloading the TGH 30-day reboot program. And then use this post for some ideas. These … READ MORE.
Tag: restore gut health
Sugar and Gut Health are directly connected. Sugar is everywhere and in everything: it’s pervasive in our modern diet! Many health experts now call Sugar – “health enemy #1”. And, particularly harmful to gut health, Sugar disturbs the way in which our gut bacteria function. … READ MORE.
In our modern world, we have access to foods from all parts of the globe, at any time, throughout the seasons. And many of us eat the same foods 365 days of the year. Scientists are concerned that because of this lifestyle pattern, we may be permanently losing important strains of good bacteria.
In a recent post, “Restore Your Gut Health as the Season’s Change”, I explain that our gut bacteria change with the foods that we eat. And as the season’s change, so should our gut bacteria. If we want to support a healthy gut, it’s important to access foods that are not only local – but also foods that are in season.
Recent research shows that important bacteria strains may be disappearing from the human gut due to the fact that most of us eat the same diet, that includes the same foods, 365 days of the year. We are able to do this because of the Industrialization of food production and the systems of Global Transport that allow us to ship food all around the world. This is a real concern!
As a result of this combination of factors, we are in a dilemma, and it brings up the questions:
- How do we find local sources for seasonally available foods?
- Can we learn how to access fresher and more nutritious foods while shopping in our modern grocery stores?
- And, can we discover methods to source and store foods that will maximize their nutrition?
Eating on the Wild Side!
As a part of researching these topics, I stumbled upon a great book that has really useful information.
“Eating on the Wild Side (The Missing Link to Optimum Health)”, by Jo Robinson, is one of the most useful books that I have read in quite a while!
Jo Robinson is, first and foremost, an investigative journalist. She specializes in gathering information and researching subjects thoroughly. And she has a long history in researching journals for information about how to restore vital nutrients to our foods. She is nationally recognized as an expert in knowing how to recapture those lost nutrients.
In 2001 she founded Eat Wild. This platforms’ mission is to “promote the benefits—to consumers, farmers, animals, and the planet—of choosing meat, eggs, and dairy products from 100% grass-fed animals or other non-ruminant animals fed their natural diets. Eatwild is now the #1 clearinghouse for information about pasture-based farming and features a state-by-state directory of local farmers who sell directly to consumers.” (eatwild.com)
In her book, “Eating on the Wild Side”, Jo presents 21st-century research about the important health benefits of choosing specific varieties of fruits and vegetables, as well as hands-on advice on how to shop for them, grow them, cook them, and store them to maintain their nutritional value. Jo gleaned this information by reviewing thousands of research articles, providing a wealth of information you will not find anywhere else. (eatwild.com)
More about Eating Wild:
“Our early ancestors, about 400 generations ago, were hunter-gatherers. Their food came from the plants and animals they hunted and foraged rather than from animals they raised or plants they farmed. When they began to domesticate animals and grow food in the first primitive gardens, they made choices about how to feed their livestock and what to plant.
Those decisions produced tastier food, but as we now know, they also began, unwittingly, to strip vitamins, minerals, protein, fiber, healthy fats, and antioxidants from their diets.
Jo’s book tells the story of the changes we have made to our wild foods, and what we can do to reclaim these lost nutrients. The solution goes beyond local, beyond organic, and beyond heirlooms. Surprisingly some of the answers are hiding in plain sight in your local grocery store.” (eatwild.com)
Additional helpful documents from Eat Wild:
Being a Hunter-gatherer.
Wild Concord Grapes on a Fall day.
On my walk through the woods this past week, I came upon these beautiful wild Concord Grapes. As you can see, they are tiny compared to the cultivated grapes you can buy in the stores. And from the bright purple stains on my hands, as I picked and ate them, you can see how nutrient-rich these tiny little fruits can be.
Earlier that day I had been reading Jo Robinson’s book. I was enthralled by the idea that we can glean more nutrition from the Industrialized foods that we buy in the grocery stores, by knowing what varieties to buy, as well as how to store and cook them.
Eating the wild grapes that I found in the woods was an immediate confirmation for me about the incredible differences between wild varieties and our modern, cultivated varieties of fruits. These petite grapes were dark purple (thus, full of antioxidants). Their flavor was incredible! As I ate these tiny grapes, that were mostly skin and seed, I felt a yearning to return to the simpler diet of foods. And I was impressed by how far we devolved as a result of our cultivation of food from the wild varieties that we would have gathered generations ago.
Eating Foods in Season – it’s a mindset.
I believe that learning to put more of our attention to eating seasonal and locally grown food are things that we all can strive for. It’s something that can be accomplished even while shopping our large grocery stores, as Jo Robinson demonstrates. So, whether or not you can access local farmers and local farmers markets, you can still strive for these goals. Eating Food in Season can be a mindset!
The guide below will help you to discover what foods are in season and available in your area. Foods are listed state by state.
Keys to Success:
- Try to find fruits and vegetables that are in season where you live.
- Source meats, eggs, and dairy from animals that have eaten foods that are a part of their natural diet.
- Learn how to store foods so that they maintain their nutrition as long as possible.
- And, if you can, take the time to source healthier and more nutrient-rich foods, even if it’s from the grocery store.
- Follow recipes that that capture the natural flavors and nutrition of locally grown foods.
Eating Foods in Season is important. Find sources of foods that will help you get the maximum nutrition possible. These are things that can make a difference in your life – and in the life of your family and friends!
True Gut Health
Live a Vibrant Life!
Current research shows that seasonal diet changes affect the composition of your microbiome. The types of the bacteria in your gut change when you change the foods that you eat. In order to stay healthy, it’s important to keep your gut bacteria healthy. And as … READ MORE.
A Gut reboot is something that provides a new beginning.
(The definition of REBOOT: “to restart or revive, give fresh impetus to”.)
The True Gut Health 30-day reboot
is an easy, effective, and affordable way to quickly improve your gut health!
The goals of this Gut reboot program:
By creating this Gut Reboot Program, I hope to share some of the ideas and information that have made such a difference for me in recent years. My health changed more in the first 4 months of following this style of eating and using these supplements than it had in the previous 15 years of following other wellness strategies.
1) Eliminate inflammatory foods such as sugar, grains, and dairy is the single most beneficial health change that I believe one can make.
2) Work on detoxification to clean your system out so that it works more efficiently.
3) And finally, add Moringa oleifera, Essential oils, and other food-based supplements that will truly nourish your body and assist with a gut health improvement program. These are all things that can truly create remarkable results!
But by committing for a short period of time when trying something new, it is not so overwhelming. I believe that we all can do anything for 30 days! … And I’m confident that if you agree to follow the guidelines of this Gut Reboot for just a short period of time that you, too, will notice a big difference and you will feel so much better than you did before you started! I also believe that the changes you experience will be convincing enough that you will want to continue on this path of better health by making better food choices and supplements, just as I have.
What makes this reboot similar to other programs?
Like many others who follow Functional Medicine guidelines, I recommend a diet that is:
- Rich in plants and good fats.
- Moderate in healthy proteins.
- Low in sugars, processed foods, grains, and dairy.
What makes this Program different?
There are two things that really set this Gut reboot program apart from the other programs:
- First, and foremost, it’s FREE! I don’t charge anything for the program or information. I believe that helping to get this information out to the world is critical! And I’m happy to give it to you for free. If I can help even a few people make changes to avoid a future path of illness or disease, then my efforts are worthwhile.
- And secondly, this the only program available that incorporates Zija’s plant-based nutrition with a protocol that’s specifically focused on improving Gut Health. My goal is to educate people about this remarkable and very current topic of health and to help others better understand how gut health influences all other areas of our health.
I recommend adding supplements that include:
- Moringa oleifera, the most nutrient plant discovered.
- And Ameo essential oils, which are clinical grade oils that are safe for internal use and harness the incredible healing power of plants.
Learn more about Zija's nutritional products and what sets them apart: see the Zija difference (here).
The 4 steps of the “True Gut Health 30-day reboot!” program:
- REPAIR. By reducing the load of inflammatory foods, the body and digestive system are better able to heal and repair.
- REMOVE. In following a cleanse, you can remove plaque buildup, toxins, and unfavorable microorganisms so that the digestive system can function efficiently.
- REPLENISH. In giving the body the proper and sufficient nutrition, the body is able to rebuild and correct gut flora.
- RESTORE. And, lastly, in realigning and restoring the balance between appetite and true caloric needs will support healthy weight management.
IT’S EASY, EFFECTIVE & AFFORDABLE.
I am passionate and purpose-driven in my efforts to help others discover improved health and well-being. By incorporating these 4 principles common in Functional Medicine with Zija International’s world-class nutrition products, I’ve created an easy, effective, and affordable gut reboot program.
It will empower you to take charge of and improve your gut health. And these changes will, in turn, improve all other aspects of your health. And this is something from which everyone can benefit!
A few of the people and resources that have influenced me and have helped to inspire this 30-day Gut Reboot are:
- FOOD, What the heck should I eat, by Dr. Mark Hyman. (“The no-nonsense approach to achieving optimal weight and lifelong health”.)
- Real Food Heals, by Seamus Mullen. (“How changing the way I eat saved my life. Eat to feel younger + stronger every day”.)
- The Body Ecology Diet, by Donna Gates. (“Recovering your health and rebuilding your immunity. Changing the way the world eats with Probiotic nutrition”.)
- The Autoimmune Fix, by Dr. Tom O’Bryan. (“How to stop the hidden autoimmune damage that keeps you sick, fat, and tired, before it turns into disease”.)
- The pH Miracle, by Ph.D. Robert and Shelley Young. (“Balance your diet, reclaim your health”).
- The Autoimmune Solution, by Dr. Amy Meyers. (“Prevent and reverse the full spectrum of inflammatory symptoms and diseases”.)
- Wheat Belly, 10-day Grain Detox, by Dr. William Davis. (“Reprogram your body for rapid weight loss and amazing health”.)
Wishing you great success in your new journey of improved health!
True Gut Health
Live a Vibrant Life!